The next step has been taken ...
The Adrian College Bulldogs will have a chance at NCHA history ... on their home ice.
The Bulldogs punched their ticket to the NCAA Division III Women's Ice Hockey Championship Game with another thriller in overtime, getting the winner from NCHA Women’s Player of the Year Kristin Lewicki. Lewicki found the back of the net at the 13:15 mark of overtime to send the Bulldogs to their first-ever appearance in the National Championship game Saturday night.
The Bulldogs will meet the three time defending champion Plattsburgh State tomorrow at 7:00 p.m. ET for the NCAA DIII Championship.
ADRIAN, Mich. - Kristin Lewicki scored two goals including the game winner in overtime that gave the Adrian College women's hockey team a 3-2 victory over Gustavus Adolphus and propelled the Bulldogs to the NCAA Division III Women's Ice Hockey Championship Game.
Final Score: Adrian 3, Gustavus Adolphus 2 - Final/OT
Location: Adrian, Mich. (Arrington Ice Arena)
Records: Adrian (28-2-0), Gustavus Adolphus (18-7-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lewicki (2,0) gave the Bulldogs an early 1-0 lead in the opening three minutes of play.
- The Gusties scored the equalizer at the 8:34 mark of the first period when Laura Johnson scored on a 5-on-3.
- Gustavus doubled Adrian in shots in the first period with 14 shots on goal to the Bulldog's seven.
- Laura Shureb (1,0) put Adrian back on top with a goal with 5:41 left in the second.
- Marina Chapman scored on a Gustie power play with 1:55 left in the period to tie the game for the second time.
- Gustavus had a slight edge in shots for the second period, 18-16.
- Both teams had chances throughout the third period to get the go ahead goal, but the goalies both made spectacular saves to keep the game tied and force overtime.
- The Bulldogs began the overtime period with a 5-on-3 advantage, however, the Gusties penalty kill came up big again as it did all game not allowing the Adrian to score on any of its nine power play opportunities.
- Lewicki scored the game winner with just 6:45 remaining in the overtime period to end the game.
- Lewicki scored twice and Shureb scored once for the Bulldogs. Lewicki went 1-4 in faceoffs and had six shots on goal and +2.
- Schroka was 20-34 in the face off dot for the game.
- Brooke Gibson (W, 15-1-0) had an incredible game, making 40 saves in 72:56 of ice time.
- Chapman and Johnson each scored a goal for the Gusties.
- Erica Power, Tegan Rodriguez, and Katy Fuller each tallied an assist.
- Amanda Dinella (L, 13-4-2) also had a great game, making 52 saves in 73:15 on the ice.
- The Bulldogs will meet the three time defending champion Plattsburgh State tomorrow at 7:00 p.m. for the NCAA DIII Championship.
-Story courtesy of Adrian College Sports Information